15.11.09

Away We Go

I rarely write about movies, which is kind of odd given how much I love the movies. Well, I love the idea of the movies. There is only the rare film though that touches me in one way or another, whether it be a good laugh, a good cry, a good scare or leaves me with something to think about more than five minutes after the movie ends. If a movie leaves that kind of impression on me, I usually buy it to add to my collection and enjoy watching it again from time to time. I don't own very many movies though.

Last weekend when I was sick I watched Away We Go directed by Sam Mendes and starring John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph as Burt and Verona, an unmarried couple expecting their first child and searching for their own place to call home. I can't quite figure out what worked for me in this movie but work it did. I think it was just the right combination of sweet and funny and sad.

The music was perfect too, featuring Alexi Murdoch, who I had never heard of before but I ended up buying the soundtrack I enjoyed it so much.

I made it back to Munich from Mexico last night and am trying to get my bearings. I am jet-lagged, confused about the seasons and the weather and still facing a nearly empty apartment that seems hopeless to ever get set up and furnished. I had planned to do some furniture shopping today but didn't fall asleep last night until about 4.30 and then ended up sleeping until almost 2. Eventually I got on my bike, went down to Marienplatz to run a few errands and then came home to do some cooking. Homemade soup for dinner and banana-chocolate-chip muffins for breakfast tomorrow.

I'm up early for a bike tour tomorrow so hope I get some sleep tonight!

And it's back to Mexico in a week.

Posted from Munich

1 comment:

Mandi said...

That jetlag can be a killer, especially when you feel like you have so much to accomplish in a short amount of time! I'm sending lots of luck and regular sleep patterns your way.