30.9.08

So What's Next

A break from travel blogging...although there is a little more travel to cover still.


Fall in Zürich

The last week has been a hard one, no doubt about that. After returning from Asia a week ago, I spent a couple days in Munich and then drove down to Basel. It took about 4 days of on and off packing to get that apartment closed down. I turned out the lights on Sunday night and headed to Zürich to stay at a colleague's empty apartment. She has started a new project in the US and kindly offered her place to me while I am sorting through the next steps of my life.

I am still between projects although seem to be closing in on one in Zürich and would be happy to take it but here's the catch. I would spend the next year commuting between NYC and Zürich. Nothing against the US, but I would prefer to get a little more settled here (somewhere) for now.

So why not just head back to the US for good? After 3 years here, I prefer living in Europe. It's that simple. I am based in Munich now and this year is important from a career perspective so I don't want to wander too far afield. I also had hoped to get a more permanent place to live and unload my stuff. Not that living out of a car and some boxes isn't fun but even for my gypsy, Sagittarius self this is a little too much out of my comfort zone.

Still if I roll the dice and pass, there are worse options out there even if there may be better.

My career plays the dominant role in my life but on many levels I know this shouldn't go on forever. There is more to life but it always takes a backseat to my job.

I feel like life, career, dreams and reality all have a grip on me and are pulling me in opposite directions. I know I am at a major crossroads.

Posted from Zürich

5 comments:

J said...

"I prefer living in Europe. It's that simple."

I've said that many times in my 10 years abroad and it's still true.

"I feel like life, career, dreams and reality all have a grip on me and are pulling me in opposite directions. I know I am at a major crossroads."

The difficult part is finding a harmony all four of those things.

Diane Mandy said...

What a lovely photo.

I have only lived in Europe a little less than a year, and I already like it better.


When you find the secret to a balance in life. Do tell me. (And I hope you find it!)

Anonymous said...

i'm very happy that you love living in europe. i remember the first time i ever met you (orioles game) and the subsequent years i knew you in wilmington and dc...you always seemed a little sad, a little searching (though still fun and funny of course!).

anyway, i'm glad you like living in europe and although you no doubt feel conflicted in many ways, i think people who are reflective probably always feel a bit that way.

praying for you to find peace to lead you to the right decisions.

Kirk said...

"After 3 years here, I prefer living in Europe. It's that simple."

That's something we still wrestle with now that we're back--we really found the European lifestyle to be quite agreeable (in a way that's not always easy to explain to folks here) and at times feel a strong pull to go back. But with a two-year-old, alas, it's not so easy to just pick up and relocate. All the best as you figure out what comes next (or as life figures it out for you) in this time of uncertainty.

Unknown said...

As odd as it may seem, I'm at the exact same place in life as you.. Given that I'd instantly move back to Europe however, I think you are making the right decision to stay.. Good luck with everything! I always say, if it's meant to be, it will all happen and work itself out.