24.12.05

The Two Week Mark

It's hard to believe that two weeks from tonight, at this exact time, I will be sitting on a plane bound for Munich. I have been feeling oddly very calm about it. It's odd because I normally tend to be reactive and high-strung going into new situations. I don't know if it just hasn't sunk in that it is so soon now or if I will continue to remain calm through the move. I definitely don't have everything organized and think I should be stressed about that at least. On the other hand, I am going into it with the attitude that this isn't likely to be the smoothest transition I've ever made. I'm anticipating that I will need to be flexible, patient and can't get worked up about every issue. Somehow, accepting that I need to have an open-mind and won't be able to control every detail has a very calming effect. I also feel like I have good support with M. and my colleagues so I'm not going into this alone. Maybe, too, I just don't really understand what I'm getting into so it's hard to picture what is next.

I'm spending my last weekend in Connecticut for awhile. My parents seem to be more accepting of the situation, even if they are sad underneath it all and would rather that things had turned out differently. Their acceptance has made spending time here easier and more fun. I know going to the airport on Tuesday when I leave Connecticut and my family for the near future is going to feel very sad for me.

For the next couple of days the focus is on Christmas. Tomorrow I'm the head chef, the menu is all set and the shopping is done. I'm not making a sit down dinner. Instead we will have snacks throughout the afternoon and evening and, of course, festive beverages. Here is the menu for this casual Christmas Eve lounge about.

Tomatos with Mozzarella, Fresh Basil, Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
Cheese Fondue
Stuffed Mushrooms
Figs with Goat Cheese, Pecans and Bacon
Smoked Salmon Filled Belgian Endive
Prosciutto Wrapped Melon
Manhattan Meatballs
Christmas Punch
& Christmas Cookies

On Monday and Tuesday I will be wrapping up the errands that I need to take care of from here including a trip to the DMV, scanning some documents I need to have with me, shipping a couple of boxes to Loerrach, and doing a final run through to make sure I'm not leaving any mess here. Then on Tuesday it's back to Washington, D.C. for the home stretch of my current project and some time with M., who is coming over here for New Year's and to help me in my final preparations to move.
The sun is setting on another chapter of my life. With the New Year on the horizon, I look forward to the new places I will go in my life and I hope life continues to be good to me.
Posted from East Hampton, CT

1 comment:

christina said...

Wow, what a great menu! I'd love to eat my way through all of it.

Merry Christmas and good luck with all the final preparations. I've been here for 15 years and they haven't managed to kill me yet so you'll survive too. :-)