20.12.05

Lost In Translation I

In honor of one of my all-time favorite movies and the fact that there are likely to be many 'Lost In Translation' moments in my near future, I thought I'd share them here from time to time.

As I was trying to decide what the menu for Christmas Eve Dinner should be, I recalled from last year that M.'s family traditionally has fondue on Christmas Eve. So I called him up on Sunday to get some of the details on the tradition.

Me: Hi Hunny... I wanted to ask you about Christmas Eve dinner in your family. What do you usually have?
M: Fondue. It's so good. You need some cheese, some wine, some kirsch, some garlic... I'm getting hungry.
Me: Ok, I have the basic cheese fondue recipe. What else do you do?
M: Fighting.
Me: Fighting?
M: Yes.
Me: I meant for dinner.
M: (straight-faced, without missing a beat) Ahh. Ok. We do meat fondue in a broth. It's also delicious.
Me: (giggling) I guess some holiday traditions cross all boundaries.

Posted from Washington, DC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found you here and wanted to wish you the best of luck in moving... and yes, there probably will be a lot more of these lost in translation moments. Just don't forget to laugh about them.....

christina said...

Heh. Yes, a nice family fight seems to be a German tradition on Christmas Eve. :-)

Michelle said...

Rebecca,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm a regular reader of your blog. Remind me if I lost my sense of humor later! ;-)

Christine,

Sounds like you've had some experience with the traditional Christmas Eve German family fight. Hee hee.

Kyle,

I made your cookies and they were delicious as promised. I'll be sure to save the recipe!