23.9.11

Autumn Soup



The weather has transitioned towards autumn and we are enjoying beautiful sunny days with crisp dry air.  The sun is still keeping us warm but not with the intensity of a couple of weeks ago.  Whenever the weather makes this annual shift, my comfort food craving kicks in and I start thinking about roasted dinners, warm, rich soups, hearty stews and casseroles and above all pumpkin pie.

This year I decided to try to make some things from scratch with pumpkin.  Canned pumpkin is not readily available in Germany and although I have one can I brought over from the US last year, I was curious how tedious it is to start with an actual pumpkin.

I decided to try a spicy pumpkin soup modified from a Jamie Oliver recipe.  The changes I made were to half the pumpkin (I used a hokkaido pumpkin) and bake it cut side down in a tray with a bit of water for 45 minutes at 180 Celsius.  I replaced the chili powder with thai chilis (2 chopped up).  Other than that I followed the recipe and it was fantastic.

What kinds of cool weather comfort foods do you like?

Posted from Munich

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! This makes me miss Europe once again. Possibly the only comfort I have for the shorter days is the night shops/fairs. I love it..

Comfort foods? I love my coffee.

Jul said...

I love fall at the Munich markets. Pumpkin soup is a favorite, as are roasted brussels sprouts. And chestnuts!