11.6.06

Obligatory World Cup Post

World Cup is here! Everyone here has been talking about it for months. Who will play? Who has the best shot of winning the whole thing? What match ups would be the most fun to watch? Will Germany run out of beer? (Ok, that last one was just my boyfriend's concern).

Two weeks ago, I got my first taste of World Cup fever. The Brazilians on our team organized a team event at a friendly match in Basel - Brasil against FC Luzern. The whole stadium was full of rowdy Brazilian fans who's energy level was more what I would expect for an official game. The drums were pounding the entire game, flags were waving, the wave made several appearances and in general people were very excited.



The Brazilians warming up



I haven't had much exposure to football before and wasn't even really sure what the World Cup was or why it was such a big deal. I know almost nothing about the game. I had no idea it is once every four years. I had no idea how popular it is around the world. Seeing all these people from remote corners of the earth going absolutely crazy about their team and this sport definitely made me feel like Americans live in their own world when it comes to sports.

I was sitting at work earlier this week and had a profound sense of something missing from the picture. It took a few hours before I placed it. Where is the gambling?? If this was in America I would be in two or three pools by now. Then a couple of days later the email came. Kicktip for the whole project! Now, finally, the familiar in the unfamiliar. I placed my entries having no clue about the teams on Friday morning and headed back to Munich for the World Cup party M. and I were throwing.



Half time at the Germany-Costa Rica game as I was heading home from Basel



We turned the back yard into a stadium and had the whole crew over for BBQ (notice M.'s pride and joy, fully equipped now) and football. Fun times since Germany won and the weather was finally nice. M.'s grilling is getting better and better... he made BBQ chicken that was so crispy on the outside but juicy and tender on the inside. I am definitely making out well on this whole Weber grill purchase.


Stadium Seating in our Backyard




After the Games




M.'s Baby



As of this morning I was in 1st out of 50 in our Kicktip.. I have moved up and down throughout the weekend but as a result of Kicktip I have World Cup Fever!

Besides world cup, I've been holding true to my promise to get my life more in balance. I left work at a reasonable hour all week. Besides football and spending time with friends, I've been sticking to my running. And we spent all afternoon yesterday at the lake, relaxing, reading and just enjoying the great weather.



Saturday at the Lake

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

Posted From Munich

12 comments:

J said...

Glad to see you're taking control of things. It's a bit scary at first, but later you find that it's actually empowering as long as it's not to arrogant.

Yes, I've been through it before too.

Anonymous said...

At least you weren't stuck in Fenway waiting for 5 hours only to see the Sox lose and get rain dumped on you......

lobstah said...

OMG, I forgot about M wanting to stockpile beer! That was so funny!
Glad you are relaxing and having fun :)

Michelle said...

J - thanks again for the enouragement. Hopefully I will learn some ways to work smarter and share the responsibility better. Regardless, it is nice to see the beginnings of having my life back.

I'm guessing anonymous is KJ? Just be glad you got to sit in Fenway. I miss it so much. Can't wait until M. and I are there in August. He's already trying to get us to go for a second day now.

C. Just in case you were losing any sleep over it, Germany still has plenty of beer! Thank God I talked him out of it or we'd be drunk from here until oktoberfest and beyond trying to use up all that beer. ;-)

Kirk said...

I hadn't realised the match was in Basel but was taking the tram home from Aeschenplatz that night and there were MOBS of people, mostly wearing yellow, trying to get onto the packed 14 trams to St Jakob. Once I figured out what was going on I couldn't decide whether to be bummed that I couldn't make it or happy because it was so freezing cold (especially for May) that evening.

Anonymous said...

yes it was me.... Lester was not what I had hoped but he is more promising than Pauley....the US was not impressive in its first game either... oh well!!!


Share the wealth of quality import beer!!!

kj

Unknown said...

oh that sounds like so much fun! I love all the pics especially the grill. (laughs)

Haddock said...

The World cup can become addictive. Its great the weather has finally changed for some prime time grilling :)

Haddock said...

The World cup can become addictive. Its great the weather has finally changed for some prime time grilling :)

The Big Finn said...

Aaahhh, the Weber grill. Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

For the record some Americans do care and watch soccer.
Havent missed a matchup yet - though some were the second broadcast.

In fact - I checked soccer/football (whatever) DURING a baseball game (though the Mets were up by 10...). Yes I did say Mets... I have NYM fever... I am actually sporting a Mets hat right now as well... that being said - rough loss for the sox last night...Schilling was spectacular... oh well... theres always next time! Go Sox!

KJ

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that you are finding that work-life balance. it is so important!! :)