30.5.06

Feelin' Better!

After some ups and downs this weekend, I am feeling much more myself today than I have in awhile. It's kind of odd, given that some black storm cloud seems to be following me from city to city and continent to continent, dumping more and more rain on me everywhere I go. It was pouring when I got back to Basel today... nearly 2 and 1/2 weeks since I left. I also feel better in spite of returning to work today.

The jet lag seems to have passed. The weekend got better and better and ended with one of M.'s fantastic dinners of steak with krauter butter, mixed sauteed vegetables, leftover rosemary garlic potatoes and a salad. The new butcher we found around the corner from us is a god-send. M. found the right words that helped me re-adjust my attitude to face the week and he made the weekend special as always. Plus I got a nice email from my Dad.

I've been on a bit of a reading kick lately and have a couple of recommendations. See the border of my blog for the links. First was The Kite Runner. It's a bit old hat by now but this opened my eyes to a country I never feel like I understand at all, Afghanistan. The story was warm and funny, shocking and sad and lingered with me for days.

I also just finished Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog. I thought I had had the World's Worst Dog, McGruff. He was a carefully researched and yet horribly rotten yellow lab that my college boyfriend had given me as a graduation present. After a year during which my life was turned completely upside down because of the antics of this dog, my then ex-boyfriend and I met in NJ (half way between where we were both living) and he took the dog back. He went on to be a complete knucklehead (the dog, not my ex) and kept many a vet, repairman and furniture shop in business for years to come. This Christmas Eve, Gruffy had passed away, very sad news and somehow hard to believe. For anyone who has ever had a good dog or a bad dog that they loved, this book will give you some laughs and warm your heart. Too bad for the guy next to me on the plane back to Munich. I finished the book just as we were getting ready to take off and I was sniffling up a storm! I think he was a little worried about how the next 8 hours were looking for him.

Finally, I am part way through the Glass Castle. This was recommended to me by my Aunt C. and we picked it up when I was out with her and my Grandma last week. This is an unbelievable memoir and I can barely put it down. Jeannette Walls has not led an ordinary life by any stretch. And with that.. I think I'm going to go read a little bit more!!

Nighty!!

Posted From Basel

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I bought Marley and Me on my last trip back to the US, and it's already packed in my hospital bag. I figure it'll be an easy and heartwarming read for the first few days after baby's arrival. I've been looking forward to reading it for months but decided to save it for this "trip". As you can tell from our blog, I'm a lab lover!

Michelle said...

Gretchen,

I love all animals - always have. I always thought I would end up being a vet but somehow I changed direction a few times and it didn't work out. Somehow labs always make me smile. :)

Unknown said...

Michelle glad you are feeling better.

I wrote a small response on from yesterdays comment (31st).

Feel free to email me from my blogger profile page address.

christina said...

Good to hear you're feeling better!